10 Days Lemosho Route
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb with Aardvark Expeditions Limited – Lemosho Route is regarded as one of the prettiest routes on Mount Kilimanjaro. You begin the trek from the west, climbing in the fertile rainforest until we reach the wildflowers on the heath ecosystem. Approaching from the west, we cross on of the most beautiful areas on Mount Kilimanjaro, the Shira Plateau before traversing the mountain along the southern circuit.
The total time during the mountain climbing will be 7 nights 8 days. We highly recommend climbing Lemosho for 8 days as it provides plenty of time for acclimatization and it also keeps the daily distances very reasonable. Our trips start and end up at our lodge based in Arusha town.
Please take a Note: That we only organize private treks, there will be only yourself and your travel partner(s) during Mount Kilimanjaro Expedition unless you create your own group with your friends.
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb – Lemosho Route 8 Nights 9 Days itinerary
Day 1 – Arrive at JRO/ Arusha
Arrival in Kilimanjaro International Airport, Meet and assist at the airport and after going through Immigration, Baggage Claim and Customs, Transfer to Planet Lodge Arusha or similar hotel in order to stay overnight at on Bed and Breakfast basis. We will gather in the evening for a pre–climbing briefing and climbing equipments check. We will also confirm that you have the appropriate mandatory medical coverage and travel insurance as well.
Day 2 – Lemosho Mti Mbubwa Camp
Morning transfer to the west of Mount Kilimanjaro, after completing the necessary registration formalities at Londorossi National Park Gate, we will drive through varied farmland with open views over the plains to reach the Lemosho Route road head. We often have our lunch in the glades before starting to walk. It is an easy day of walking up a small path through beautiful and lush forest. This area has a variety of wildlife including African Buffalo. Stay overnight at Mti Mkubwa Campsite (8,700 ft). It takes about 2–3 hours walk.
Day 3 – Shira One Campsite
After breakfast, we soon leave the forest behind and enter the moorland zone of Giant Heather. The trail climbs steadily with wide views to reach the rim of the Shira Plateau. There tangible sense of the wilderness especially if afternoon mists come in. You will camp in the center of the plateau at Shira One Campsite (11,000ft). It takes about 6–7 hours walk.
Day 4 – Shira Two Campsite
After breakfast, proceed with an easy day to help acclimatization and to explore the volcanic rock formations of Shira Plateau. We walk to the summit of Shira Cathedral before reaching the next camp of Shira Hut (12,600 ft). This campsite has stunning views close to the glaciated dome of Kibo and the jagged rim of the Shira Plateau. The views from here of Mount floating on the clouds are simply unforgettable. It takes about 4–5hours walk.
Day 5 – Barranco Campsite
After breakfast, you will start with a morning of gentle ascent and panoramic views, leaving the moorland plateau behind to walk on lava ridges beneath the glaciers of the Western Breach. After lunch near the Lava Tower (14,900 ft), we descent the bottom of the Barranco Valley to campsite at Barranco Camp (12,790 ft), sheltered by towering cliffs and with extensive views of the plains far bellow. It takes about 7–9 hours walk.
Day 6 – Karanga Valley Campsite
A steep climbing up the Barranco Wall leads us to an undulating trail on the south–eastern flank of Kibo with superb vistas of the Southern Ice fields. The terrain changes to scree with pockets of lush vegetation in sheltered hollows and there is only a short distance to Karanga Campsite (13,100 ft), the last water point on the way to the Kilimanjaro summit. It takes 4–5 hours walk.
Day 7 – Barafu Campsite
After breakfast, we follow an easy path on compacted scree with wide views that gains altitude unrelentingly to reach Barafu Hut (14,800 ft) for lunch. There is a short acclimatization walk to the plateau at the bottom of the southern valley. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the early morning final ascent. It takes about 3–5 hours walk.
Day 8 – Uhuru Peak – Mweka Campsite
Wake up and then start our ascent by tonight around 1:00am so that we can be up on the crater rim by sunrise. The steep climb over loose volcanic scree has some well–graded zig–zags and a slow but steady pace will take us to Stella Point (18,800 ft), in about five or six hours. We will rest at Uhuru Peak for a short time in order to enjoy the sunrise over Mawenzi Peak. For those who are still feeling strong can make the two hours round trip from here along the crater rim to Uhuru Peak (19,345 ft), passing close to the spectacular glaciers and ice cliffs that still occupy most of the summit area. The descent to Barafu Camp is surprisingly fast and after some refreshment, we continue to descent to reach our final campsite, Mweka Camp (12,500 ft). it takes about 11 – 15 hours walk.
Day 9 – Mweka Gate and the Drive Back to Arusha
After breakfast, proceed with a sustained descend on a well constructed path takes us through a lovely tropical forest alive with birdsong and boasting lush undergrowth with considerable botanical interest. Our route winds down to Mweka National Park Gate (5,400 ft) and on through coffee and banana farms to Mweka Village where you will be transferred to Planet Lodge Arusha or similar hotel in order to stay overnight at on Bed and Breakfast basis.
Day 10 – Departure Transfer (optional) as you can depart on your own:
After breakfast Aardvark Expeditions Team can organize a private departure transfer to Arusha Airport or to Kilimanjaro International Airport for your flight back home or flying to Zanzibar Island.
End of service
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb – Special prices for the year 2015/2016
8 Days Lemosho Route Itinerary
Price cost US$ 2,060 per person.
Price cost US$ 2,036 per person based on a group of 5 people.
An extra day on the mountain cost US$ 240 per person per day.
From 6 people onwards, please contact Aardvark Expeditions Team in order to get discount.
Meet and greet service, Assistance at the airport on arrival, Mountain guide and porters, Emergency evacuation insurance, Transfer as specified, All park fees, Camping fees/Hut fees and rescue fees, All pre and post climb accommodation as mentioned from the itinerary, 2 nights Accommodation in town, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners on the mountain,
- International flight, Visas, Airport tax– but it can be paid direct by client(s), Driver guide, Tips, Climbing gears – if required it can be hired locally, Sleeping bags, Walking sticks, Drinks, Personal travel and Baggage insurance, Telephone bills, Laundry and any items of personal nature.
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: US$ 250 per group for hyperbaric chamber, US$ 210 per group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and US$ 140 per group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra US$ 110 per person or US$ 180 per group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
Additional Remarks about your travel to Tanzania:
- We may have to re–route the itinerary or accommodation in similar hotels or lodges in case we don’t availability.
- Price for domestic fights, airport taxes and park /entry fees can change without prior notice. Our guests should be aware that this will be beyond our control and any increase levied will be passed to you.
Passenger travel information:
- Passenger should bring only soft sided bags on safari while duffle bags and bigger backpacks are suitable for the Kilimanjaro climbing as well as for Mount Meru climb.
- All passengers must have identification card or international passport with them for internal flights.
- Luggage for internal flights is strictly limited 15 kilograms per person including hand luggage. Any excess baggage will be changed by the airline company during check–in.
- All passengers landing in Tanzania may be asked to present a valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate.