8 Days Umbwe Route
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb – The Umbwe Route provides the shortest route, and toughest, to the Southern Glaciers of Kilimanjaro and Western Breach of Kibo Peak. An ascent of Kibo by Umbwe Route is one of the finest non–technical climbing mountaineering. It is a challenging route, unsuitable for the solitary or for the inexperienced, and a route off the beaten track. This sound interesting and feel free to book your trek with Aardvark Expeditions Limited.
Please take a Note: That we only organize private treks, there will be only yourself and your travel partner(s) during Mount Kilimanjaro Expedition unless you create your own group with your friends.
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb – Umbwe Route 5 Nights 6 Days itinerary
Day 1 – Arrive at JRO/ Arusha
Arrival in Kilimanjaro International Airport, Meet and assist at the airport and after going through Immigration, Baggage Claim and Customs, Transfer to Tulia Boutique Hotel & Spa to stay overnight at on Bed and Breakfast basis. We will gather in the evening for a pre–climbing briefing and climbing equipment check. We will also confirm that you have the appropriate mandatory medical coverage and travel insurance as well.
Day 2 –Umbwe Gate to Umbwe Cave
At 7:30 a.m., we’ll transfer you to the Umbwe Park Gate at 2,100m. The path begins a narrow ridge crest between the Lonzo River to the West and the Umbwe River to the East. It is easy to follow as it continues up through the dense forest. The path continues to follow the ridge, rising steadily with some steep sections and scramble rocks. The route takes you to the first tented camp Umbwe Cave (at 2,940m) in 5 to 6 hours
Day 3 – Barranco Hut
After breakfast, we follow the trail through steep and scramble rock across rainforest to moorland. The path proceeds steep to the Southern Glacier Branches; at 4000m we reach our campsite, which is Barranco Camp, were we overnight. (6–7 hours walking).
Day 4 – Karanga Valley Campsite
The day will begin with a descent in to the Gorge, before we climb its eastern wall where we will enjoy views of Mount Kilimanjaro’s ice fields, an equatorial anomaly. We will continue trekking until we reach our camp in Karanga Valley (13,900 feet, 4–5 hours walk).
Day 5 – Barafu Campsite
After finishing our breakfast, we will climb up through the Karanga Valley; the trail turns steadily uphill, following the lava ridge to the Barafu camp. The temperature will grow colder and the landscape more sparse as we near Barafu Campsite. Barafu Campsite is set on a small, exposed flat area on a ridge, acting as a base camp from which you will make your summit attempt at midnight tonight. Barafu Campsite (15,200 feet) it takes about 6–7 hours walk.
Day 6 –Summit and then Mweka Campsite
After midnight we start the challenging trekking to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro (12–17 hours of trek). You begin trekking at 12:30 to 1:00am, passing between the Rebmann and Tarzel glaciers to the rim at Stella Point. The temperatures range from just below freezing at midnight, to between 10 deg. F (-12 deg. C) to –10 F. (-23 deg. C) just before dawn at the summit. As dawn nears, we’ll summit at Uhuru Peak, the highest point in Africa at 19,340 feet. Uhuru Peak will be the culmination of – and the reward for – 6-7 hours of strenuous hiking. We’ll then descend back to Barafu Campsite, resting for a while before continuing our descent to Mweka Campsite (9,840 feet) it takes about 3–4 hours walking on the descent).
Day 7 – Mweka Hut to Mweka Gate and then Back to Arusha
After breakfast descend steeply through the forest on a narrow path, after 3–4 hours walking we will reach Mweka National Park Gate at 1400meters. Our company driver and vehicle will be waiting to transfer you back transferred to Arusha town in order to stay overnight at Tulia Boutique Hotel & Spa on Bed and Breakfast basis.
Day 8 – Departure Transfer (optional) as you can depart on your own:
After breakfast Aardvark Expeditions Team can organize a private departure transfer to Arusha Airport or to Kilimanjaro International Airport for your flight back home or flying to Zanzibar Island.
End of service
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb – Special prices for the year 2019/2020
6 Days Umbwe Route Itinerary
Price cost US$ 1,790 per person.
Price cost US$ 1,695 per person based on a group of 5 people onward.
An extra day on the mountain cost US$ 240 per person per day.
From 6 people onwards, please contact Aardvark Expeditions Team in order to get discount.
Meet and greet service, Assistance at the airport on arrival, Mountain guide and porters, Emergency evacuation insurance, Transfer as specified, All park fees, Camping fees/Hut fees and rescue fees, All pre and post climb accommodation as mentioned from the itinerary, 2 nights Accommodation in town, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners on the mountain,
- International flight, Visas, Airport tax– but it can be paid direct by client(s), Driver guide, Tips, Climbing gears – if required it can be hired locally, Sleeping bags, Walking sticks, Drinks, Personal travel and Baggage insurance, Telephone bills, Laundry and any items of personal nature.
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: US$ 250 per group for hyperbaric chamber, US$ 210 per group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and US$ 140 per group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra US$ 110 per person or US$ 180 per group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
Additional Remarks about your travel to Tanzania:
- We may have to re–route the itinerary or accommodation in similar hotels or lodges in case we don’t availability.
- Price for domestic fights, airport taxes and park /entry fees can change without prior notice. Our guests should be aware that this will be beyond our control and any increase levied will be passed to you.
Passenger travel information:
- Passenger should bring only soft sided bags on safari while duffle bags and bigger backpacks are suitable for the Kilimanjaro climbing as well as for Mount Meru climb.
- All passengers must have identification card or international passport with them for internal flights.
- Luggage for internal flights is strictly limited 15 kilograms per person including hand luggage. Any excess baggage will be changed by the airline company during check–in.
- All passengers landing in Tanzania may be asked to present a valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate.