9 Days Machame Route
Machame Route on Mount Kilimanjaro is well known as “Whiskey Route” – The nine days eight nights Machame variation is the ideal schedule for this route. On the 9 days Machame Route, the trek from Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp is broken up in to two days, allowing for a short day just prior to Uhuru Peak attempt. This is very important for the climbers because the summit day starts very early, around midnight, so climbers are sleep deprived going into the toughest day on the mountain. By having a short day before hand, trekkers can be better rested.
The total time during the mountain climbing will be 6 nights 7 days on Machame Route.
Please take a Note: That we only organize private treks, there will be only yourself and your travel partner(s) during Mount Kilimanjaro Expedition unless you create your own group with your friends.
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb – Machame Route 9 Days Itinerary
Day 1 – Arrive at JRO/ Arusha:
Arrival in Kilimanjaro International Airport or arrive in Arusha from Nairobi, Meet and assist at the airport and after going through Immigration, Baggage Claim and Customs, Transfer to Arusha town in order to stay overnight at Planet Lodge Arusha or similar hotel on Bed and Breakfast basis.
Day 2 – Machame Gate:
Machame Gate to Machame Hut (2,850m)
Hike time: 7.5 hrs, Elevation change: +1200 M
Estimated distance: 10km, Final elevation: 3100 M
an early pick up from hotel and then drive to Machame gate (5,400) where trekking formalities take about 30 minutes. From the gate, we begin our trek following an easy track for the first hour through the dense forest. The path continues to follow the ridge, rising steadily with several steep sections. The gradient eases slightly as the forest merges into heather covered ground we will reach Machame Campsite in 10 km (6.2 miles) after a 1,200–meter (3,936) ascent and 5–7 hours of walking.
Day 3 – Shira Hut (3,840m):
Hike time: 7 hrs, Elevation change: +800 M
Estimated distance: 6km, Final elevation: 3840 M
From the Machame Hut we cross the stream onto its west bank and follow the path up the steep rocky ridge crises-crossing a few times before reaching Shira Hut at the base of a semi-circular wall of rocks. We will have ascended 900 meters (3,000) in 5–7 hours and about 6 km (3.72 miles) of walking.
Day 4 – Barranco Hut (3,976m):
Hike time: 5 hrs, Elevation change: +100 M
Estimated distance? Final elevation: 3900 M
From Shira Hut hike to Lava Tower (15,000) and then proceed to Barranco via the Great Barranco Wall. This route offers panoramic views of Kibo through Karanga Valley as we hike high and sleep low, dropping back down to Barranco after lunch. Today hike will take most of the day Barranco campsite located on elevation of 3950m.
Day 5 – Karanga Valley (14,800):
Hike time: 3.5 hrs, Elevation change: +100 M
Estimated distance: 4km, Maximum elevation: 4590 M
Final elevation: 4000 M
From Barranco Hut we climb up through the edge of great Barranco 95 percentage of that day walking will be on elevation of 4250m. We will break our day at Karanga valley campsite at elevation of 4,000m walking time is 4 to 5 hrs on this day.
Day 6 – Barafu Hut (4,600m):
Hike time: 3.5 hrs, Elevation change: +600 M
Estimated distance: 4km, Final elevation: 4600 M
Today involves gaining a little more elevation, acclimatizing and resting for the summit attempt the next morning. This day will take us 4 to 6 hrs of walking.
Day 7 – Summit and then Mweka Camp (10,500):
SUMMIT DAY! Summit time: 7 hrs, Elevation change: +1300 M
Estimated distance: 5km, Final elevation: 5895 M
Descent time: 5 hrs, Elevation change: -2800M
Estimated distance: 12km, Final elevation: 3100 M
We will start trekking early before sunrise (1-2 am) as the walk today will take 10-14 + hours. We will avoid the mist that sets in later in the day; the scree and snow will still be safely frozen. The 1,100-meter (3,600) ascent in just over 3 km (1.86 miles) will take us about 6-8 hours. After a brief stay at the summit of the highest point in Africa, Uhuru Peak, at over 5,898 meters (19,340′), we descend via the Barafu Route roughly 2,500 meters (8,200) in 12 km (7.44 miles) in about 4–7 hours to Mweka Camp.
Day 8 – Mweka Gate (6,000) and then Drive back to Arusha:
Descent time: 4 hrs, Elevation change: -1250M
Estimated distance: 10km, Final elevation: 1828 M
Today we descend about 1400 meters (4,592) through the forest on a jungle path for about 10 km (6.2 miles) in 3 – 4 hours to reach Mweka Gate where you will be picked by our driver and transferred back to Arusha. Stay overnight at Planet Lodge Arusha on Bed and Breakfast basis.
Day 9 – Departure Transfer:
After breakfast Aardvark Expeditions Team can organize a private departure transfer to Arusha Airport or to Kilimanjaro International Airport for your flight back home or flying to Zanzibar Island.
Mount Kilimanjaro Climb – Special prices for the year 2015/2016
7 Days Machame Route Itinerary
Price cost US$ 1,910 per person.
Price cost US$ 1,886 per person based on a group of 5 people.
An extra day on the mountain cost US$ 240 per person per day.
From 6 people onwards, please contact Aardvark Expeditions Team in order to get discount.
Meet and greet service, Assistance at the airport on arrival, Mountain guide and porters, Emergency evacuation insurance, Transfer as specified, All park fees, Camping fees/Hut fees and rescue fees, All pre and post climb accommodation as mentioned from the itinerary, 2 nights Accommodation in town, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners on the mountain,
- International flight, Visas, Airport tax– but it can be paid direct by client(s), Driver guide, Tips, Climbing gears – if required it can be hired locally, Sleeping bags, Walking sticks, Drinks, Personal travel and Baggage insurance, Telephone bills, Laundry and any items of personal nature.
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra $110/person or $180/group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
Additional Remarks about your travel to Tanzania:
- We may have to re–route the itinerary or accommodation in similar hotels or lodges in case we don’t availability.
- Price for domestic fights, airport taxes and park /entry fees can change without prior notice. Our guests should be aware that this will be beyond our control and any increase levied will be passed to you.
Passenger travel information:
- Passenger should bring only soft sided bags on safari while duffle bags and bigger backpacks are suitable for the Kilimanjaro climbing as well as for Mount Meru climb.
- All passengers must have identification card or international passport with them for internal flights.
- Luggage for internal flights is strictly limited 15 kilograms per person including hand luggage. Any excess baggage will be changed by the airline company during check–in.
- All passengers landing in Tanzania may be asked to present a valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate.